The arms of Yale University, often referred to as the shield of the university.
The device on the seal, a book bearing the Hebrew phrase אורים ותמים (English: Urim V’Tamim), originates from the early eighteenth century, and its designer is unknown. The arms were illustrated from drawings by Fritz Kredel sometime before 1948. Additional information in Rogers, Bruce, and Lohmann, Carl A. (1948.) The Arms of Yale University and Its Colleges in New Haven. New Haven: Yale University Press.
There is minimal innovation upon the pre-1923 design.